Overview of how to get periods fast
It can be extremely stressful to wait for your period to come fast once your menstruation date has already passed. If your periods are delayed by a week once or twice, you should not be worried much. However, if more than a week passes by frequently, it is better to consult a doctor. Also, if you are wondering what to do for late periods, you can try a few home remedies, like adding spices, such as turmeric and cinnamon to your food or having ginger and lemon tea. Before you start thinking about ways to get periods fast, you should try to know the cause of late periods. Usually, the reason for late periods is stress. It can also be PCOS, excessive drinking and smoking, or hormonal imbalance.
What are irregular periods & their symptoms?
Irregular periods mean that your menstrual cycle is disturbed and you get your periods either weeks before or after your expected period date. It can mean delayed or early periods and can also impact blood flow during menstruation and vary the length of your period. Some of the most common symptoms of irregular periods are given below:
- Frequent bleeding for days between two periods.
- Excessive bleeding or too light blood flow during periods.
- Bleeding even after menopause.
- Long or short menstruation cycle.
Causes of irregular periods
A normal menstrual cycle usually lasts for 28 days. However, sometimes the menstrual cycle gets disrupted which results in irregular periods. In the majority of cases, it happens due to an unhealthy lifestyle. Sometimes health conditions can also result in irregular periods. The following are some of the most common causes of irregular periods:
- PCOS:– In polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS), small sac-like structures filled with fluids get developed in the ovary. It causes ovarian dysfunction that leads to irregular periods.
- Stress:– When you have too much stress, the body starts secreting cortisol hormone that causes hormonal imbalance in the body and disrupts the menstrual cycle. This leads to irregular periods.
- Disease:- At times diseases like thyroid, diabetes, anorexia, and others can also disrupt hormones due to medication. It may result in irregular periods.
- Birth control pills:– Birth control pills, especially emergency contraceptive pills, alter the estrogen and progesterone hormone levels in the body, which affects the menstrual cycle.
- Hormonal imbalance:- Along with stress, hormonal imbalance can also occur when there is sudden fluctuation in body weight, if you do excessive work out, or if you aren’t getting proper sleep. These can cause irregular periods.
- Smoking:- Smoking or drinking habit could be one of the major causes of irregular periods. Studies suggest that smoking can shorten the luteal phase of the menstrual cycle and cause variations in its length. Therefore, you should quit smoking if you want to make your periods regular.
It is best to consult a gynecologist if you have been getting irregular periods for 2-3 months. The doctor will determine the right cause and suggest effective irregular periods treatment.
Foods to get period fast
Many people believe that eating warm food items can make the period come fast. Even though there is no scientific data to back up this theory, you can try eating the following foods to get your period fast:
- Spices:- As spices are hot in nature, they can induce menstrual cycle and might help you get your periods earlier. You can add spices like turmeric, black pepper, cardamom, cinnamon and ajwain seeds to your food.
- Jaggery:- Another food item that people believe is effective in regulating their periods is jaggery. Its hot nature induces the menstrual cycle.
- Parsley:- This is one of the most popular food items to bring periods fast as the apiol and myristicin compounds present in parsley stimulate uterine contractions. Therefore, it may help in getting periods earlier. You can boil a few leaves of parsley in one glass of water and drink it for 3-4 days.
- Papaya:- The carotene compounds present in papaya enhance the secretion of estrogen hormone in the body and induce menstruation using contractions. You can have a bowl of papaya for 2-3 days to get your periods.
- Ginger:- Ginger also produces heat in the body that might make your period come early. You can drink ginger tea twice for 3-4 days to see if it helps bring your periods fast. However, you should be careful while having ginger as its excess consumption can cause acidity.
- Fenugreek seeds:- A lot of women also try fenugreek seeds to bring periods early.
Exercises to get periods fast
In addition to having food for fast periods, you can also try a few exercises.
- Uterus massage:- You can also try a uterus massage for getting periods fast. The massage will put pressure on the abdomen and may cause the muscles to contract. This might help you get your periods fast. However, you should be careful while getting an uterus massage. Make sure that there is not too much pressure on your abdomen
- Light workout:- You can do light workout like crunches, squat jumps, and standing twists for getting early periods. These exercises put pressure on the abdomen and cause contractions in the muscle that may bring periods.
- Yoga:- One of the major causes of late periods is stress as it causes hormonal imbalance in the body. Therefore, if you want to reduce your stress levels, you can do yoga, which may cause your period to come earlier.
Supplements to get periods fast
The following are a few supplements for how to get periods fast:
- Vitamin C tablets:- Many people think that having vitamin C tablets can help you get periods fast, but there is no scientific study to prove the same.
- Vitamin D:- If you have irregular periods due to PCOS, vitamins B and D supplements, fish oil and zinc supplements may help you manage PCOS symptoms.
- Supplements rich in antioxidants:- If stress is the cause of irregular periods, antioxidant-rich supplements like vitamins A, C and E, Ashwagandha, and magnesium might help reduce stress and balance your menstrual cycle.
It is best to consult a doctor before taking any health supplements.
Natural Tips to get periods fast
If your expected date of menstruation has passed and you are wondering how to get periods fast, here are a few tips that might help you.
- Put a warm compress on your stomach for 15-20 minutes. It might stimulate blood flow towards the uterus.
- Focus on a healthy diet and add spices to it.
- You can also drink coffee to get periods early. It is thought that caffeine triggers secretion of estrogen hormone that can bring periods.
Risks of getting irregular periods
Following are the risks of getting irregular periods:
- Infertility:- Menstrual cycle prepares a woman’s body for reproduction. Irregular periods can be a sign of improper ovulation. It can cause infertility.
- Early menopause:- Irregular periods due to an unhealthy lifestyle, obesity and stress can cause early menopause.
- Cardiovascular diseases:– Studies suggest that women who have irregular periods are prone to cardiovascular diseases.
When to consult a doctor for irregular periods?
You should not be worried about a slight change in the menstrual cycle or irregular periods for one or two months. However, if you have irregular periods continuously for more than two months, you must consult a gynecologist, since it can be a symptom of an underlying health condition. You must also consult a doctor if you experience any of the following symptoms:
- Severe stomach cramps
- Swelling in the abdominal region
- Heavy blood flow on all the days of your period
- If your period continues for more than 1-2 weeks.
- If you have spotting between two menstrual cycles.
- If you do not get periods for 90 days.
Irregular periods may happen due to several reasons like hormonal imbalance due to stress, lack of sleep, poor diet, PCOS, etc. The best way to make your periods come on time is to follow a healthy lifestyle consisting of a proper diet, sleep schedule and regular exercise routine. You must also avoid smoking and drinking. If you still experience irregular periods for a few months, you must immediately consult a doctor who might recommend a blood test to check the hormone levels in your body and suggest a treatment.
How to delay periods naturally at home for 2 days?
You can try home remedies to delay periods like drinking lime juice or apple cider vinegar, having gram lentils, and avoiding spicy foods. These are popular ways to naturally delay periods. However, there is no scientific theory to confirm the effectiveness of these remedies.
How to get periods immediately at home?
There are a few home remedies that you can try to immediately get periods like having warm food, exercising, and getting a massage on your lower belly. You must know that these home remedies do not guarantee getting periods. However, you still try and see for yourself.
Are there any side-effects of using home remedies for early periods?
Since home remedies mainly include natural ingredients used in the kitchen, there are less chances of having side effects from home remedies for getting early periods. However, you might experience a few side effects like constipation due to foods. If you have excess papaya, it can cause diarrhea.